Who doesn’t love a summer beach holiday? Those long sunny sandy days shared with family and friends where the parents can relax and kids can have a great time, that is the stuff dreams are made of! Briony shares with us her story of the summer of 2015 in Costa Brava.
Your name – Briony
Who were your travel companions – My Husband, Master 3 and Master 1
What was the location of your holiday – We recently spent our summer vacation in Costa Brava at Calella de Palafrugell
How did you get there – Flew to Barcelona on Emirates and hired a car – it’s a 1.5 hr drive from the airport
What time of year did you travel – Mid July 2015
Length of stay – 1 week (we did a 2nd week in Majorca, but we definitely preferred Costa Brava.)
What was the weather like – Lovely warm clear days, highs of around 30 and 25 over night.
Accommodation – Sea Front View House
Style (Hotel, Apartment, B&B) – Villa
Room type booked – We booked the villa as we were sharing with our friends. Plenty of room for the 2 families (total 4 kids and 4 adults)
Facilities – AC in master bed, right on the beach, shop 30 sec walk from the front door, parking for 1 car, toys for the kids, fully functioning kitchen, TV (not that we needed to use it cause there was so much to do)
- Unbeatable location. Opposite the beach so super easy with the kids – no in & out of the car to get anywhere which for me is essential for a holiday
- Right on the esplanade and great outdoor balcony where we spent many enjoyable drinks and superb meals
- Right in the middle of the town area with lots of bars and restaurants on our door step – so great for the adults too
- 10 min drive from the beautiful town of Begur – old Medieval town which the kids loved exploring & eating ice cream
- Boat hire available right in front of our house – we hired a boat and explored the coast line and stunning bays
- Stand up paddle boarding and lots of activities for the kids on the beaches
- Close to some great vineyards
- Close to Sa Tuna & Aiguablava – must see in the Costa Brava
- Only the master bed had AC and the nights could get very hot
- Didn’t have a big yard which some families would prefer – our preference was ease of access to the beach with no car ride required
Would you stay there again? Definitely – we are already planning for next summer. Highly recommend it. Stunning part of the Costa Brava and superb location with everything you need for the adults to relax and enjoy and for the kids to have a good time.
Could you recommend any restaurants/cafes/bars for eating out with children?
All of the restaurants in the town of Palafrugell & bars were great and super easy with the kids. European kids stay up very late to enjoy the long days so it was never an issue finding somewhere to accommodate us. Also the food was generally kid friendly i.e.. grilled fish, pizza, pasta etc
Things to do?
- Stand up paddle boarding
- Paddle boats (the kids loved these)
- Boat hire to explore all the stunning bays
- Begur – Medieval town. Beautiful place and great ice cream, tapas and rose!
- Wine tasting for the adults
- Shopping for the adults – cute little boutiques in the town