Craving some couple time and missing a bit of romance since your little traveller arrived? Candle lit dinners and walks under the stars a thing of the past? Not at The Remote Resort! With the help of a Nanny who integrates into with family from early morning to the evening, you can really relax and get some quality family (and adult) time.
Your name – Louise
Who were your travel companions – Husband, Master 6, Master 3 and Miss 1
What was the location of your holiday – The Remote Resort at the Rainbow Reef, Vanua Levu, Fiji
How did you get there – A little complicated! We flew direct from Sydney to Nadi one day and spent the night at Raffles Gateway (right near the airport) just for ease. We then flew to Taveuni the next morning (a one hour flight in a twin engine plane). The transfer from Taveuni is all arranged by the Resort: a 20 minute car trip then a 30 minute boat ride.
What time of year did you travel – May (Autumn)
Length of stay – 2 weeks
What was the weather like – Sunny and warm
Accommodation – The Remote Resort
Style (Hotel, Apartment, B&B) – Multiple self contained villas, each dotted along the ocean frontage
Room type booked – Two bedroom villa
Facilities – Private plunge pools, fully equipped kitchen, ensuite to all bedrooms, private decks, fully catered, full suite of activities, nannies
- You can book a nanny to help out with the kids. The nannies seamlessly integrate into your family so you still get lots of quality of time with the kids, while also being able to relax while they do an activity. An extra set of hands is particularly helpful at meal times!
- The food was phenomenal. Honestly, it was 5 stars every single meal. The cocktails were great too!
- The snorkelling and water activities were amazing. The coral was the best we’ve ever seen the kids loved getting out on the boat too!
- The fishing was also great and the kids were often eating their catch within 30 minutes!
- The resort is very eco friendly but also glamorous. The owners are Australian so they know what Aussies like!
- The resort sends a survey prior to your arrival so you can tell them what food and drinks you like… then they fill your fridge with those items!
- The views… ah, the views. The resort is completely ocean-side and just jaw dropping from every angle. In our villa, our deck was only about 10 metres from the ocean.
- A couple of Australian kids reside at the resort with their parents who are the owners/managers. My kids loved playing with them!
- The owners worked hard to darken the room that our children slept in so that we weren’t waking up super early with the sun each morning.
- Our villa and the restaurant also had high chairs.
- We recommend taking a travel stroller for infants though, as it is a 5-10 minute walk each way from the family villa to the restaurant/main part of the resort.
- Please read my trip advisor review as there were so many pros that it would take all day to list them!
- The only thing that could have been better was having a full size pool available. However, they were constructing one while we were there.
Would you stay there again? Oh yes!
Could you recommend any restaurants/cafes/bars for eating out with children?
All food was prepared by the on-site restaurant, which was headed by a superb Fijian chef who trained in Australia so you get a good mix of traditional Fijian and contemporary.
In the early mornings, we would serve the children breakfast from our fridge. At a time that suited us, the resort would then provide us our al a carte breakfast anywhere we wanted. We always had breakfast on our deck so we could stay in our Pjs and admire our view. The kids especially loved the Fijian french toast (soaked in coconut milk) and banana smoothies!
We normally ventured up to the restaurant for our three course lunch, which was an adventure for the kids as there is a music room upstairs for them to play in. One day, we took a boat ride to a private beach and took a gourmet picnic. The chef was always happy to serve a mash for our baby and provide any finger food. The older kids loved scooping out the impressive selection of home-made gelato in the kitchen!
At dinner each night, my husband and I left the kids with the nanny and we could choose wherever we wanted to dine. Options were: our own villa, the restaurant, the fire pit deck, the lawns, any area of beach, the end of the jetty, anywhere! We always let them know our choice at lunchtime and, by 7pm, our path from our villa would be candlelit and it was so romantic to wander along by moon light to our dining destination. Not only were the staff perfectly attentive, but they also had a staff member serenading us from a small distance away. On our last night, they even changed some names in our favourite songs to personalise them for us!
The restaurant also had a bar and there was a daily “cocktail special” that was included in our pricing. A huge selection of wine and beer was also included. It was lovely to not think about the cost of things while we were there.
Things to do?
Definitely consider a trip out to the Rainbow Reef for snorkelling. Although the reef off the front of the resort is impressive, the Rainbow Reef was simply amazing.
Visit the local village to see how the local communities live. The school kids especially loved visitors and were very appreciative of book donations.
Also consider renewing your wedding vows. We did this about half way through our holiday and it was so beautifully done. The staff went to long lengths to fine tune every detail. It was such a special day to spend with our children.